Thursday, January 14, 2010

Just plain sad

The news out of Haiti is so sad.  We have shirt-tail connections to people who have lost loved ones.  It is hard to sit in my house, with all my family accounted for, and even grasp what it must be like on the ground in Haiti.  I don't think we can fathom the depths of the loss or the need.  As the kids and I were getting breakfast and lunches and launching for the day, we had the Today show on.  It was a teachable moment.  A sad moment to remind my bickering, chaotic kids that we are blessed, and that we are called to help.

I am struggling with pushing the kids to help.  We have a local branch of Kids Against Hunger here in town and they are packaging food round the clock right now.  The kids suggested going and helping as a family.  We will head there after school tomorrow.  They are requesting those that come to package also bring some sort of a donation.  I REALLY want the kids to think up donating some of their money on their own.  I REALLY don't want to push them into doing it, but I also think it is something they will remember for the rest of their lives, and hopefully at this young age, will plant the seeds of our truly global family.  Because we truly are a global family.  Whether it is someone in our own community that needs help, or an ocean away in Ethiopia or Haiti, we are a global family.

Do what you can, with what you have, to spread God's Word, Share God's Love, and Help your global Sisters and Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment